Electricity Corporation (Amendment) Act, 1974
The Electricity Corporation (Amendment) Act, 1974
Be it enacted by the President and Members of Parliament in this present Parliament assembled as follows: —
1. This Act shall be deemed to have come into operation on the 1st day of May. 1974.
2. The definition "Minister" in section 2 of the Electricity Corporation Act. 1964 is hereby repealed and replaced by the following new definition—
" " Minister except where otherwise expressed or described means the Minister for the time being responsible for matters relating to Works; " 7
3. Section 3 of the principal Act is hereby repealed and
replaced by the following new section
3. (1) There shall continue to be established a body to be called the Sierra Leone Electricity Corporation hereinafter called the Corporation.
(2) The Minister or any person or body of persons authorised by him shall exercise and perform all the
powers and duties conferred by this Act and shall formulate the policy of the Corporation which shall be put into effect by the General Manager.
(3) In any case against the Corporation notice in writing of such action and of the cause thereof shall be given to the Corporation at least thirty days before the commencement of the action.
(4) In any judgment or decision or Order against the Corporation, no execution, attachment or process in the nature thereof, shall be issued against the Corporation until after three months from the date of such judgment, decision or Order as the case may be."
4. Section 4 of the principal Act is hereby repealed and replaced by the following new section—
4. (1) The Corporation shall have a common seal and the affixing of the seal shall be authenticated by the
signature of the Minister or any person of the Corporation authorised either generally or specially, by this Act for that purpose.
(2) Every document purporting to be an order or other instrument issued, by the Corporation and to be sealed with the seal of the Corporation authenticated in the manner provided by this section, or to be signed by the Minister, or any person authorised by him shall be received in evidence and be deemed to be such order or instrument without further proof, unless the contrary is shown. i
(3) In appropriate cases the seal may be affixed to documents outside Sierra Leone,
(4) Notwithstanding any rule of law to the contrary the Corporation may enter into contracts and transact business in all respects in the same manner as a private individual.".
5. Sections 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 of the principal Act are hereby repealed.
6, Section\10 of the principal Act is hereby repealed and replaced by the following new section—
10. (1) Any person or body of persons so authorised by the Minister shall appoint a General Manager and such other officers, servants and agents as the Corporation may from time to time determine. In particular it shall appoint a Chief Electrical Inspector who shall be responsible to the Corporation for the supervision of such inspection as may be prescribed in the Regulations made under section 66. Unless it shall be deemed improper by the Minister the General Manager may be the Chief Electrical Inspector.
(2) Subject to the directions of the Minister the officers and servants of the Corporation shall be under the administrative control of the General Manager.
(3) The Corporation may from time to time for the better administration of the Corporation issue orders and regulations concerning the conditions and terms of employment of its officers and servants.".
7. Section 11 of the principal Act is hereby repealed and replaced by the following new section—
11. The General Manager shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the Corporation and in the execution of the policy of the Corporation and transaction of its day to day business, shall be under the direction and control of the Minister.".
8. Section 71 of the principal Act is hereby repealed and replaced by the following new section—
71. The Minister shall make Regulations for further carrying into effect the provisions of this Act.".
9. The words "after consultation with the Minister" shall, be repealed wherever they appear in the principal Act.
Passed in Parliament this 29th day of August, in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and seventy-four.
Acting Clerk of Parliament.
This Printed Impression has been carefully compared by me with the Bill which has passed Parliament and found by me to be a true and correctly printed copy of the said Bill.
Acting Clerk of Parliament