Local Courts (Amendment) Act, 1974
Signed this 31st day of December: 1974.
[8th November, 1974.]
Be it enacted by the President and Members of Parliament in this present Parliament assembled, as follows: —
1. This Act shall be deemed to have come into operation on the 8th day of November, 1974.
2. The definition of " Minister " in section 1 of the Local Courts Act, 1963 is hereby repealed and replaced by the following' new definition—
"Minister" means the Minister responsible for matters relating to the Interior.".
3. Section 4 of the principal Act is hereby repealed and replaced by the following new section—
4. (1) The Minister may from time to time appoint a Chairman and a Vice-Chairman or Vice-Chairmen where he considers it necessary to appoint more than one, and such other members of a Local Court or group Local Appeal Court as he shall seem fit.
(2) Before entering on his functions every Chairman. Vice-Chairman or other member of any such Court shall take and subscribe before such person as the Minister may direct an oath in the form set out in the Schedule.
(3) Subject to the provisions of section 5 the Chairmen, Vice-Chairmen and Court Members shall be appointed for a period of not more than three years and shall be eligible for reappointment/'.
4. The principal Act is hereby amended by the substitution for the words "President" and "Vice-President" of the following new words "Chairman" and "Vice-Chairman" wherever they occur in the Act.
Passed in Parliament this 6th day of December, in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and seventy-four.
Acting Clerk of Parliament.
This Printed Impression has been carefully compared by me with the Bill which has passed Parliament and found by me to be a true and correctly printed copy of the said Bill.
M. MUNU. Acting Clerk of Parliament.